Can we all agree that packing is our least favorite part of vacations?
I used to be a horrible packer. So bad that when I flew home to Michigan for even a weekend I would pack a full-on suitcase. Mostly full of clothes and shoes that were entirely impractical for the small town I am from.
Having made that specific trip too many times to count as well as taking other vacations, you’d think I’d have this packing thing down to a science.
Well, I’m not going to lie, it wasn’t until about two years ago that I really figured it out. I’m still not someone who packs a week in advance (do you even exist anyway?!), but I have managed to take numerous, longer than a weekend trips, with just a carryon.
My goal with packing is to never ever bring something I won’t wear. Therefore eliminating the chances of overpacking. So in order to achieve this goal and to help ease the pain of packing, I always follow these five tips…
- Plan Outfits Ahead of Time: You guys, this is a life changer. Seriously. Sure it’s kind of stressful and usually time consuming, but it really makes a world of difference when it comes time to put it all in the suitcase. This alone pretty much eliminates the prospect of overpacking.
- Pick a Color Pallet: I dress pretty neutral in general, but even more so when I’m on vacation. Black, white and denim are always my go-to’s. This makes putting those outfits together so much easier and usually doesn’t require a lot of fuss.
- Choose Pieces That Work Double Time: A tip that is guaranteed to be on everyone’s packing tip list, but for good reason. It works. It kind of goes along with Tip #2…when you have a specific color pallet most things can be switched up and styled multiple ways. There is no need to bring an entirely different outfit for everyday of your trip.
- Be Practical With Your Shoe Choices: Okay, so this is where I still struggle, but I am getting there. Because I love wearing heels, putting outfits together with sneakers or flats is always a struggle for me. However, I have learned that as long as you have comfy walking shoes, a pair of sandals, and one pair of heels, you should be covered.
- Don’t Get Crazy With Your Accessories: This was something I always did and I have no idea why. I don’t even wear jewelry in my day-to-day life so whatever made me think I was going to wear it on vacation? Now that I am aware of this, I bring what I would normally wear…a pair of earrings and sunglasses (maybe too many pairs of sunglasses still). Again, no need to pack the completely unnecessary.
Do you girls have any tips that you use to ease the pain of packing?