I’ve recently discovered the importance of a positive mindset.
I’m not really sure when it hit me, but a few months back I realized that I was in serious need of an attitude check. My attitude and thought process were constantly bringing me down and I have no doubt that it was bringing the people around me down as well.
At first, there was not anything specific I had set out to do, I just decided I needed to make a change. Starting with my mindset.
Ever since deciding to make this little change and have a positive mindset, I have noticed a huge difference in my day-to-day attitude. I mean, I still have my moments or even my days. For the most part though I’ve been able to stay pretty positive and in a good mood.
So what exactly did I do to make this change? Again, there was not a specific plan, but here are my tips…
5 Ways to Get & Keep a Positive Mindset
- Recognize when you are in a bad mood. And decide to change it. Right then and there. Ask yourself if you are really in a bad mood or just annoyed. Tell yourself why there really is no reason to be in a bad mood. As weird as it sounds, have some dialogue with yourself. Talk yourself out of it. It’s not easy, but I promise it really makes a difference!
- Stop comparing and wishing. This is always a tough one. In this day and age of social media it is impossible to not compare ourselves and our lives to others. When you find yourself doing this though, just take a step back. Think about your life and realize what good you have. I recently did an interview where I was asked my definition of happiness and it’s basically that. Being able to come back to your own life and realizing you are exactly where you need to be. I promise you will feel a whole lot happier!
- Do something/anything to set your mind on a different path. Rather than just sitting there sulking in whatever is bringing you down, do something. Anything. This is always a little hard for me because when I’m in a bad mood I don’t really feel like doing anything. However, journal writing always helps me out here. One of my favorite quotes is “write clear and hard about what hurts” and while it’s a bit deep it does help to get those feelings out of my head.
- Don’t let others dictate your mood. There are people who can bring me down (or annoy me is probably a better term) with a drop of their hat (well they used to). With this whole thing though I realized that is more my issue than theirs. No one should be able to dictate how I feel on a daily basis except for myself, so when I start feeling annoyed with a specific person, I go back to the dialogue in my head and talk myself down. Because in the end they really aren’t that annoying.
- Just decide to be happy and in a good mood. It doesn’t need to be extreme or over the top. Take all of the above and just move on. Just a little smile and talking your way through whatever is going on in your head will make a world of difference in having and keeping a positive mindset. Plus the reward of being happy is totally worth it!
A couple of other things I have really enjoyed with this little journey…
The Five Minute Journal – I’ve talked about this before, but it really is such a great resource for being able to recognize the good in each day and deciding what you can do to make the best of it or what you need to work on. I’d recommend it everyone and anyone even if you are already in a good mood 🙂
The Happiness Project – My best friend recommended this to me and I could not be more thankful. I am still working my way through it, but it just reinforces the whole idea that mindset and doing little things each day (or month in her case) can make a huge difference in your mood and life!
How do you guys get yourself out of a negative mindset?