Journal Entry No. 1

Okay, so this post is a little out of the norm, a little more personal than the regular posts, but I’ve been wanting to do this type of post for a while now, Β to switch things up and maybe start some conversations…so, let me know what you think, K? πŸ™‚

Have you ever seen that episode of “How I Met Your Mother” where they point out each others annoying habits and afterwards they are hyper aware of themselves doing these annoying habits? For some reason this episode has always stood out to me and last week I had one of those “ah-ha” moments that made me think about it again.

As I had previously mentioned, I have been meeting with a life coach every other week and at our last meeting we discussed what is keeping me from treating this blog like a business. As we were talking about this it occurred to me that I have a really bad habit of just stopping everything once I get overwhelmed with it and therefore it never progresses.

I’ve always been aware that I have a tendency to live in the future, not so much planning for it, but just constantly wondering about it and I feel like that is playing a major part in this little revelation of mine. I can’t seem to focus on the small picture for too long, I get overwhelmed with the big picture and then I just give up…clearly not forever since I’m still plugging away at this blog, but for the short term. And stopping for the short term just always ends up setting me back.

It’s been a weird thing to process and at the same time refreshing because as I noticed it happening today, I decided to just step back and focus on what needed to be done today, or even just right at that moment. Did I get as much done as I wanted to today, no, but at least I realized what I was doing and was able to complete a few things rather then giving up on it all.

Sometimes being hyper aware of our behaviors and/or habits is a good thing, if nothing else, it allows us to grow and hopefully change what needs to be changed in order to move forward.

“Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out”

1. November 15, 2016 / 3:00 pm

Interesting and most important you are now aware of it πŸ™‚
    In my case I finished an MBA in education a few months ago and it included some coaching. With the coaching I was made aware that I have too many plans, thus I do not focus on anything. I guess that now the question is what am I going to do about it..

2. November 15, 2016 / 3:02 pm

I think that being aware of our habits and behaviors is really good! Even if it's not something terrible, being aware just helps us to feel better and change if we need to. πŸ™‚

3. November 15, 2016 / 5:00 pm

Never thought about being aware more like I have never thought about it. If it is holding us back becoming aware is key.

4. November 15, 2016 / 5:30 pm

I haven't seen that episode of "How I Met Your Mother" but I have noticed that I do the same thing every once in a while. I would love to turn my blog from a hobby to a full time thing, but it is definitely intimidating. I do the same thing as you, where when I get overwhelmed about something, I just stop working on it and do something else, which means that it's probably going to be left alone for way longer then I intend it to.

Thanks for sharing,

Love, Jenn

5. November 15, 2016 / 9:21 pm

Loved the idea of some personal posts like this one and I can totally relate to getting overwhelmed with the big picture and just throwing my hands up! Thanks for sharing, dear

6. November 16, 2016 / 2:41 pm

I think more of us NEED to live in the now. We all start things and never finish them. Because we're constantly trying to get this and that done. So once we realize we've started a zillion projects that need to be finished, we overwhelm and over work ourselves. I hope you find some clarity and the ability to take a step back. <3

7. November 16, 2016 / 3:33 pm

So funny. I am concurrently listening to a webinar on building habits and focus on less, accomplishing more. THanks for this great read. πŸ™‚

8. November 16, 2016 / 5:53 pm

I do this too! When I'm overwhelmed, I sort of shut down and want to just do something frivolous for a while. You're right, it does end up setting you back. However, sometimes I think those little brain breaks are necessary. It always you to reset.

9. November 16, 2016 / 10:11 pm

Shannon! I love this idea. I would love to see a life coach…for me, something like that is so incredibly alluring. And, as far as blogging…I've been struggling a lot for a while. I fall into this same negative thought pattern about it not being worth it, there are so many amazing blogs, taking the outfit photos is a burden to my husband,etc. I understand it completely, but your blog is always amazing. It doesn't show that you are experiencing this struggle. You really do inspire me.
    XO, Gina

10. November 21, 2016 / 8:48 pm

I love this post! I wanted to read it last week but last week got crazy. I totally know how you feel. Its kind of like that feeling when you have SO much to do, so you just do nothing instead (or is that just me). You get super overwhelmed so you just walk away. I get that. I do it. And blogging is SO overwhelming, or at least it is for me.

Nikki