The Straightener Curl

So if you haven’t noticed by now, I have suuuuper fine hair, it’s always been the bane of my existence (not to be dramatic).

When it came to using a straightener, the idea frightened me. Why in the world would I want my fine, thin hair stick straight?! No. I need all the curls and volume I can get please! And the idea of running something that hot over and over through my hair just screamed “damage”. However I remember reading a long time ago that the number one beauty trick Nicole Richie thought was the most beneficial (or something along those lines) was knowing how to curl her hair with a straightener. So when Irresistible Me reached out with the opportunity to feature their Diamond flat iron on Clothes & Quotes, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a go.

The Diamond flat iron is designed to keep all the natural hair oils and moisture in, which is a big deal when you are using it daily, like I have been. I also love the fact that you can control the temperature of the flat iron, since my hair can’t necessarily handle as much heat as someone with thick hair, it helps to prevent extreme damage which I can really appreciate.

I’m not going to lie…it took me a lot of practice. I’m not exactly talented in the hair department, so bear with me, but I think I finally found a curl that not only holds, but also builds some volume in this limp hair of mine.

Below are the steps I take to get some loose, beachy curls that last all day…

Irresistible Me, hair straightener, flat iron, curling your hair with a straightener, curls for fine hair, fine hair, fine hair hair care, styles for fine hair, bechy curls, beachy hair

1. Since I do have fine hair I always like to spray a little texturizing spray in before curling (this product by Unite is seriously a game changer).
  2. Take about 1 inch sections and clamp the flat iron on the hair. As you slide the straightener down the length of your hair twist it to the right, away from your face. The more twisting you do the tighter the curl will be. Also, be sure not to hold the straightener in one place for too long too avoid any kinks
  3. Continue curling away from your face all around your head.
  4. Once all the hair is curled run your fingers through it to loosen everything up. I usually need to run the straightener through the ends and over my bangs because they always seem to be too curly.
  5. Spray some more texturizing spray and go 🙂

1. February 10, 2016 / 12:26 pm

great post, Shannon!! I envy your hair. I know, you probably want to coldcock me BUT…I've got the exact opposite hair issue. Too much, course, frizzy! Anywho, I use a straightener and serum to knock out as much volume as possible but I think I may try your method of adding a little bend using the flat iron I'll just skip the texturizer:)
    Great photos as always!

• February 10, 2016 / 3:05 pm

Haha…I ENVY your hair! It's so long and thick, my dream 🙂

2. February 10, 2016 / 3:18 pm

I need to try this! I have a curling wand, but I feel like it's too much curl sometimes. Straightener curl to the rescue!

Penn&Quill || Robin

3. February 10, 2016 / 3:27 pm

Oh man, I wish I had heard about this flat iron before I bought my new one! I'm desperately trying to learn how to curl with my straightener, but like you I'm not the greatest at doing my hair (which is also super fine!). The one I use makes OKAY curls, but I'm not sure if it's because I don't know what I'm doing, or because of the actual straightener lo1!

This one looks like it does a great job! Your hair looks awesome!

xx Lauren

4. February 10, 2016 / 3:54 pm

Very pretty! Turned out amazing! Will have to try this once my hair gets a little longer!

5. February 10, 2016 / 4:22 pm

super cute! Love this look on you, Shannon! Irresistible Me has great hair tools, right?!

6. February 10, 2016 / 4:44 pm

Grow hair grow! haha I have to wait for my perm to grow all the way out before it will do anything. I love loose curls like this! Looks like it took so long to do!

7. February 10, 2016 / 4:46 pm

Your hair looks adorable like this! I love tools that are multi-purpose like this, thanks for the great tutorial!

8. February 10, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Adorable!! I use my straightener to curl as well and have actually found it to work well!

9. February 10, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I completely understand the hair struggles…so I know you're not being dramatic! My hair is so thin and fine that when I pull it back into a pony tail…the total circumference is basically a joke. I'm always trying to make it look thicker!

I've actually never tried curling my hair with a straightener, but it looks like yours turned out great!

Jackie
    Something About That

10. February 10, 2016 / 9:32 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to do this forever! Thank you!

11. February 11, 2016 / 12:48 am

I love this technique for short hair like you have! I just got mine cut into a long bob and this kind of curl makes it look so effortless and easy!

xo, Chelsie @ Hey There, Chelsie

12. February 11, 2016 / 2:14 am

I love curling my hair with a straightener!
    It's so easy.

xoxo, Jenny

13. February 11, 2016 / 3:44 am

I loved this post because we have similar hair length and that's exactly how I style my hair! Love it! your hair is so beautiful!

Molly |www.stylemissmolly.com

14. February 11, 2016 / 4:57 pm

I love using my straigtener to curl my hair. I think it turns out so nicely.

15. February 11, 2016 / 9:27 pm

This sounds like a great product, thanks for sharing!!
    xo, Syd
    anchoredinthesouth.com

16. February 12, 2016 / 2:23 am

I'll have to try this! I have a curling wand, but never tried with a straighter… I'm having total hair envy!